Cardiovascular disease is the #1 killer in America. Here are the best ways for everyone and anyone to take care of their heart starting today and to reduce their risk of heart attack and stroke. Plus, the best meal for a good time in the bedroom!
According to Cardiologist, Professor, and Fellow at the American Heart Association Dr. Masely, the best things a person can do to reduce arterial plaque and protect their heart is through diet and lifestyle. Here are is top things to add or change-
- Add healthy fats- omega 3s, avocado, olive oil, nuts, seeds, dark chocolate
- Increase fitness level- not necessarily the amount of time or duration but intensity is more important
- Add fiber to every meal in the form of colorful fruit and vegetables, beans and nuts
- Get control of your blood sugar
- Specific nutrients to make sure you are getting enough of and good sources-
- Magnesium- kelp, almonds, cashews, molasses, brewers yeast, buckwheat, Brazil nuts, dulse, millet
- Potassium- avocado, asparagus, lima beans, potato, tomato, peach, chicken, flounder, salmon, banana
- Vitamin D3- cod liver oil, sardines, salmon, mackerel, tuna, egg, beef liver, supplement needed for most people
- Vitamin K- leafy greens, green tea, cabbage, asparagus, oats, green beans
- You want more big fluffy cholesterol and less small cholesterol (yes, size matters!)
- Healthy beverages- filtered water, green tea, smoothies
- Add flavor to your foods with lots of spices and herbs
If you are looking to jiggy with it tonight in the bedroom witn your sweetheart here is what Dr. Masely recommends to ensure the most enjoyment and best performance-
Circulation and how food directly impacts that is key. Eat a meal of steak and heavy mashed potatoes and see your circulation and performance go down immediately. Instead, choose those heart healthy fats discussed above, clean protein meaning grass fed pasture raised, a good amount of fiber, not too much sugar to curb inflammation, and to stay hydrated but not too much alcohol. Foods with a lot of zinc and arginine help boost dilation and circulation. Foods such as oysters, shrimp, lobster, game meat, and dark chocolate are perfect. Yum!
Dr. Masely says FOOD is still the number one thing he recommends for heart health at his cardio clinic! Take care of your heart today and everyday!
Heart Healthy Chocolate Truffles –
- 6 tablespoons sunflower seed butter or nut/seed butter of choice
- 4 tablespoons raw cacao
- 2 tablespoons Coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed, chia or hemp seeds
- 3 tablespoons hemp or pea protein powder
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1 cup Water as needed
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Stir and slowly add water until you get the desired consistency of your protein ball (only add water if needed).
- Mold the dough into little balls. Roll them in shredded coconut (or raw cacao) to coat and place them on a plate, cookie sheet or wax paper.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes or freezer for 15 minutes to form. Store in refrigerator.
Eat with a loved one or all by your awesome self!
Happy Valentines day! ❤️, Doc Janel