I love smoothies for easy, fast, and nutrient dense snacks and meals. But, be warned, all smoothies are not created the same.
You want to make sure you are not getting a dessert in a cup, which many of them are.
How do you do this?
Make sure you are getting good protein (around 20-30 grams), a healthy fat (from mct oil, nut butter, or find others on my smoothie guide), not too much sugar and some fiber too (nuts, seeds, fruit, veggies, etc). This combo will ensure you are satiated and that your blood sugar does not spike. These spikes then come crashing down causing all sorts of problems systemically and can bring on symptoms such as bonking in the afternoon, anxiety, problems sleeping, daytime sleepiness, and more. Yuck. These highs/lows can also impact hormones and cause problems with sleep too. Most people I know do not have time for any of that.
We want to drink smoothies that are loaded with nutrients, support our health, and give us long lasting and balanced energy.
Use my smoothie guide below to formulate your own or check out my recipes.
DELICIOUS and health promoting smoothies are easy to make in a flash.
Recipes in the packet include-
- My favorite everyday blueberry smoothie (this recipe is from my sister Brittany about 15 years ago that I still love)
- Golden Recovery smoothie for after you crush it in the mountains or gym
- Favorite everyday chocolate Smoothie which is awesome for your gut, your hormones, and overall health
- My kids favorite strawberry protein smoothie
- A great cherry and lemon spring cleansing smoothie
- A green smoothie bowl for when you crave using a spoon and want some crunch
Can you find the protein and fats in all these smoothies? Are you including enough of these important macros in your smoothies? Use the smoothie guide above to buff yours out.
I would love to hear about your favorite smoothies! Share with me on instagram @mountainrebalance or leave in the comments below.
Janel Ferrin Anderson FNLP, NC, DNM
Janel loves helping people understand their physiology better and supporting them to use food and lifestyle to function their best. Learn more about Janel here and more about the groups she leads here. Janel is a board certified Nutritionist and certified functional nutrition and lifestyle practitioner out of Tahoe.