When something tastes this good and is this good for you, how can you resist? Well, on a cool and wintry day I cannot, and will not. Drink up let these hot cacao elixirs melt your heart and your soul!
Cacao is loaded with health promoting flavonoids and polyphenols that are rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. It is also a great source of magnesium which is awesome for us ladies and plays a role in over 300 enzyme reactions in the body (enzymes are how things get done, kind of like a mom, IMPORTANT).
Since I love foods that promote health but also love delicious tasting food that nourishes not only my body but my soul too, I give you my 3 favorite ways to enjoy a hot cacao elixir.
Note- Cocoa powder is usually highly processed and is often alkalized, which reduces the amount of antioxidants. Raw cacao is high in antioxidants and has many more beneficial nutrients, so stick with cacao.
Note- These drinks taste wonderful anytime but I am convinced they taste best at 3pm or after any outdoor snowy adventure, rosy cheeks and all. You choose what’s true for you.
Recipe number one and my go to when I am at home (makes 1 cup)-
- 1 favorite mug of choice
- 1 tablespoon raw organic cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 8 ounces of hot water
- 1 tablespoon of coconut milk (from the can not carton)
- 15 drops of stevia (adjust according to taste. You can also add a 1 tsp of coconut sugar depending on where you stand with sugars. I love it with stevia and my blood sugar and hormones do too)
- Mix all together and stir with whisk or fork.
- Bonus variations- Sometimes I put in a few drops of peppermint extract, other times I put in a dash of cayenne powder to heat things up. Both are YMMMMMM good
What is your favorite variation of this one?
Recipe number 2 (makes 2 cups)
- 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 3/4 ounce dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao)
- Add almond milk to a saucepan and heat it over medium-low heat. Once it is warmed through (not boiling), add the cacao powder, maple syrup and dark chocolate. Whisk well to combine.
Continue to whisk until all ingredients are evenly distributed and it has reached your preferred temperature. Taste, and add more maple syrup if needed. Divide into mugs and enjoy!
Recipe number 3 (not really a recipe as these are pre-made but so yummy and clean/quick/easy version). I have this at my office
- 1 mug of hot water with either (I have no affiliation with any of these, I just love them for a quick delicious cup of hot cacao). Some of them have a bit of sweet in them but they all have great, high quality, health promoting ingredients and taste delish.
- 1 package of Four Sigmatic Mushroom Cacao Mix
- 1 scoop Kos Holy Cacao
- 1 scoop Laird Superfood Hot Chocolate Mix
Enjoy and let me know which one is your favorite! Tag @mountainrebalance with a picture of you enjoying your mug of Cacao Elixir
More like this- Golden Milk 3 Ways, Favorite Chai recipe -Chai 2 ways
I will leave you with some snowy pics to inspire your cacao appetite:)
Leave a Reply