We love these pancakes at my house and I love that my kids gobble them down. I prefer non-sweet breakfasts but when a pancake breakfast is in order this is one of our go-to’s.
This recipe avoids highly inflammatory, gut wrecking, nutrient depleting, often immune stimulating foods such as gluten, dairy, and processed sugar. It incorporates fat, fiber, and protein to help you and your kids stay energized by keeping your blood sugar more stable so you don’t bonk before lunch.
Plus, these pancakes are scrumptious.
My kiddos like coconut oil on them or a nut butter. I like serving these with kale chips and organic turkey sausage on the side but they are great on their own too.
Banana Hemp Pancakes (adapted by Janel from Nourishing Meals cookbook)
- 1 cup of brown rice flour (sprouted brown rice flour even better)
- 1/4 cup of arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup ground hemp seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 mashed up ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- optional free range egg or two if you eat them (we add this)
- Warm cast iron pan to medium. Mix all the dry ingredients in a big bowl. Mix all the wet ingredients in a small bowl. Mix the wet into the dry. Stir. Add more liquid or flour for your favorite consistency.
- Add some coconut oil to pan. Scoop desired size pancake into pan and flatten down. Cook about 1 minute on each side. Enjoy!!!
NOTE- My 10 year old is a bit gourmet and LOVES this recipe with an additional 1 Tbsp almond extract and 2 Tbsp poppy seeds. YUM